Thursday 16 February 2012

I'm dyeing to help

This is me.
Although in real life I'm a little less blurry.

Soon, I won't look like this though. Why, you ask? Well, because I'm taking part in Today FM's Shave or Dye campaign.
So, on February 29th, I'll be doing to Deirdre in Headrush salon in Kilcullen, where she will (for free - she's been extremely generous and helpful) cut my hair quite short and dye it a vibrant shade of red. The hair cut off will be sent to Little Princesses in the UK, to be made into a wig for a cancer patient.

At this point in the explanation, a number of people have again asked me "Why?" - with varying degrees of panic in their tone. To be honest, I'm not really sure. The best answer I can come up with is simply "Because I can". I have been blessed with good health and also with strong, thick hair that is constantly commented on at the hairdressers. So, why not use it to help someone else?

My plan is for my hair to help someone to regain their dignity, to feel more like themselves again. And also, for you to help fight the disease that has stripped them of that dignity (and much besides). All you need to do is make a donation. Money goes to the Irish Cancer Society, who fund services for cancer sufferers, as well as much needed research to help fight this disease.

Now that I've got my lovely sponsorship pack, I will be fundraising in earnest. If you'd like to sponsor me in person, just let me know and I'll arrange to collect the money from you. (On reflection, I feel I should point out that this option is preferred for people I know, as opposed to ax-murderers...)
You can also sponsor me via mycharity.ie (where you can also see how much money I've raised so far).
Finally, don't forget that you can also simply text "Shave" to 57080 to donate. Texts cost €2 and a minimum of €1.56 goes to the Irish Cancer Society.

A final note, I started off with the suggested target of €500, but as I'm getting close to that already, I think it would be lovely to reach for the stars here. It feels dishonest to go back and change the target - but please don't think that once I've reached €500 that I don't want any more!
And, of course, thank you to all the wonderful people who have already sponsored me. Every single cent is much appreciated!

Don't forget to come back to see my fab new hair on March 1st :)

No comments:

Post a Comment