Monday 27 February 2012

Toddler talk

In our house, we have our own language.

We didn't always have it. I was careful to ensure the kids had the correct pronunciation of each word they tried, paranoid after we were told that their (temporary) hearing problems may have an impact on their speech. But life is short, and toddlerhood is even shorter. One of the most heartbreaking times of our lives was when Little Man stopped saying 'crocodiler' and 'the affe' and started saying 'crocodile' and 'giraffe'. His own affinity for language meant that we got less than 24 hours of 'eebops' before he self-corrected to 'hiccups' - who can honestly tell me that's an improvement?

So, we've relaxed. And by 'we', I mean 'I'. Hubby has always been more naturally relaxed with just watching them grow. I'll still help them with pronunciation when they're stuck, but maybe not everything needs to be totally perfect just yet. This means that when you come to our house, you'll see a drawer in the playroom labelled "pooting things and booping things". I was genuinely shocked when I revealed to coworkers that Little Man wanted a pooting thing for Christmas and they didn't understand my dilemma. Apparently, most people would call it a "gun". Who knew?

I've also recently been guilty of telling the doctor that Little Lady's cough is not improving "even though she's using the Roro every day!". Thankfully, when I explained that we always sing "Row, row, row your boat" while using the inhaler, she realised that I am still a fit person to be a mother!

There is so much joy to be had in the kids while they are small, and excitable and utterly innocent that I just can't bear to take any of it away just yet. So come to our house, where you'll notice as flish as a flash that things are a little different there. Our favourite television show is Happy Pig, which is best watched while wearing jaamas. We love it when Nanny and GwanGwand come to visit, or our "Auntie" Beeraid. We do NOT like things that are Beeskusting, but love eating Beetatoes.

Our little language sets us aside, says that the four of us are in this thing together and that we understand each other like no one else can. It is our language of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment